How difficult is it to get into the software engineering industry if you didn't study engineering?

I’m a self-taught programmer and I’m wondering how hard it would be to find a job in the software industry. I don’t have a degree in engineering but I’m a quick learner.

There is no one answer to this question since it can vary depending on your skills, experience, and the specific industry you want to work in. However, in general, it may be more difficult to get into the software engineering industry without a degree in engineering. This is because many companies prefer to hire candidates with a relevant educational background.

That said, it is still possible to get a job in the software engineering industry without a degree in engineering. There are a few ways you can do this:

1. Focus on acquiring the relevant skills.

Make sure you have the skills required for the specific role you want to apply for. This can be done through taking courses, attending workshops, or simply learning on your own through resources like books or online tutorials.

1. Highlight your experience.

If you have any relevant work experience, make sure to highlight this on your resume and in your cover letter. This can help show that you have the necessary skills for the job, even if you don’t have a formal education in engineering.

1. Network with people in the industry.

It can be helpful to know someone in the industry who can vouch for your skills and experience. Attend industry events or reach out to professionals you know online or in person to see if they can help you get your foot in the door.

1. Be prepared to learn on the job.

If you’re able to get hired without a degree in engineering, be prepared to learn on the job. This means being willing to take on new challenges and learning from your mistakes. It may also mean being open to working in a less senior role at first, until you have more experience.